Cool-weather spinach adds dash to this winter-hardy vegetarian vegetable soup. 8 servings.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced red potatoes
1 can (14 ounce) kidney beans
1 can (14 ounce) garbanzo beans
1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes
1 Bay leaf
48 ounce vegetable stock
1 small bag baby spinach
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (or to taste)
1. Sautee' onion in oil until it starts to caramelize then add celery, carrots, potatoes, sautee' until slightly soft.
2. Add beans, tomatoes and stock to the pot.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer, adding Bay leaf and Old Bay Seasoning.
4. Simmer on low until potatoes are carrots are done..
5. When vegetables are done, turn off heat; stir in half a bag of chopped or torn spinach just before serving
6. Salt and pepper to taste
Makes soup for 6. Serve with crusty French bread.
*Old Bay seasoning *makes* this soup, so be sure to use it. Too little Old Bay, the soup is flavorless; too much, it's too spicy. If you haven't used it before, start with 1 tablespoon; add more to taste.
~Rachel Ray. Veggie Meals: 30-Minute Meals