Locally-grown Bibb lettuce and warm-weather potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers say "bon jour" to a traditional French composed salad. Serves 6.
1/2 head Bibb lettuce
6 small new potatoes
1 medium tomato
1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts
1/3 lb haricots vert1/4 cup pitted calamatta olives
1 small cucumber
1 tsp capers
12 ounces tuna
1/3 cup lemon vinaigrette dressing
1. Wash and dry lettuce. Tear into bite-sized pieces and arrange as a bed for the other ingredients.
2. Scrub and boil potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork. Quarter when cool.
3. Steam green beans until al dente - tender to the bite but not crunchy. Cut in half on the diagonal when cool.
4. Quarter cucumbers and tomatoes.
5. Arrange all ingredients on the lettuce, sprinkle with capers and drizzle with salad dressing.
6. Sea salt & fresh-ground pepper to taste
The classic salade nicoise contains grilled tuna, anchovies, boiled eggs, lots of fresh herbs and anchovy dressing. Alas, the farmer's market was fresh out of anchovies and long on Bibb lettuce, new potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers today. Everything else was on hand in my pantry. Voila' - a laid back version of a French classic. Lovely for lunch or a cold supper. And heart healthy!