Mark your calendars and stock up on Alka-Seltzer. Edible Austin is hosting a feast of fetes for Central Texas foodies from December 3 to December 10.
Now in its fifth year, Edible Austin Eat Drink Local Week raises awareness of the bounty of real food and local products grown, produced and crafted in our region; connects real-food customers with restaurants and other businesses supporting local food and drink; and raises funds for local nonprofits Urban Roots and Sustainable Food Center
This year, as in years past, they have pulled out all the stops and then some.
- New this year, an online chef dinner auction promises one generous locavore the chance to bring a celebrity chef into your home or private venue for an unforgettable culinary experience for eight hungry guests.
In addition, exciting food events every day and night of the week offer something local to eat, drink or experience for everyone of any age:
- Urban Farm Bicycle Tour - a family-friendly bicycle tour with optional stops at more than nine urban farms, school and community gardens and more. It features farm tours, sampling chef-prepared local food products and a chance to win fabulous prizes, including a Trek commuter bike.
- Pig Roast and Harvest Dinner at Springdale Farm - a community picnic of roasted pork and fresh harvested sides, live music by La Strada, a tour of the farm and an opportunity to meet the beneficiaries.
- Coffee and Chocolate Festival - offering samples and products available to buy from Texas Coffee Traders from local chocolatiers.
- An Afternoon with Wendell Berry and Wes Jackson - Staged at the newly renovated Stateside at the Paramount, guests can enjoy an unforgettable afternoon matinee featuring a conversation with two of the most influential architects of the sustainable food movement. American philosopher, poet, farmer and novelist Wendell Berry has been the inspiration for local food activists from Alice Waters to Michael Pollan for more than half a century. Wes Jackson is president of The Land Institute and is a widely recognized leader in the sustainable agriculture movement.
- Alamo BeneFeast will feature the hit movie Moonstruck, and Alamo Drafthouse chefs will prepare an exquisite multi-course dinner inspired by food featured in the film. South Lamar location.
- Drink Local Night - Presented by The Carillon. Meet your local distillers and try seasonal cocktails highlighting their spirits at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center Ballroom. Featuring the Official Drink of Austin Cocktail Contest presented by Tipsy Texan. Crowd Favorite Award sponsored by Google Places. Tasty appetizers by Swift’s Attic, BC Tavern, The Carillon and more!
- Better Bites Holiday Gift Fair- hosted at The Domain II. Sample products from our best local food and beverage artisans and buy locally made treats for holiday gift giving.
- Local Brew Fest - Presented by Black Star Co-op and Wheatsville Co-op. Meet our finest Texas craft brewers and sample their wares at this popular Eat Drink Local Week event.
Click here for the event calendar and other details!
- If that weren't enough, almost every restaurant in Austin will be serving up dishes made with local, sustainable ingredients. Click here for an updated listing of participating restaurants.
Tickets are available for individual events or as a week-long pass. Click here for ticket prices and availability.
Edible Austin is a quarterly publication promoting local food in Austin and Central Texas.
Sustainable Food Center (SFC) cultivates a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to nutritious, affordable food—envisioning a food-secure community where all children and adults grow, share and prepare healthy local food. In addition to producing three of the area’s largest farmers markets, SFC’s programs include Grow Local, Farm Direct, The Happy Kitchen and Sprouting Healthy Kids.
Urban Roots is a youth development program that uses sustainable agriculture as a means to transform the lives of young people and increase access to healthy food in Austin.