Ireland's Famous Bread from Beard on Food
Time: About 45 minutes
Makes: One round loaf
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 “very level” teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk
Butter for greasing
Optional: 1/2 cup raisins or currants and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in the buttermilk, one half cup at a time, until the dough is soft but sticky. (I used the entire 2 cups.)
- Lightly flour a work surface and knead the dough for a minute or two.
- Shape the dough into a round ball and place it on a buttered baking sheet; cut a large cross in the top with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the outside is brown and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it. Serve immediately or store for up to a few days.